Pictures of Boring Machine

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Jan 18 16:56:25 MST 2008

At 15:58 -0500 18/1/08, Greg Newell wrote:

>...I like your set up. Do you have plans drawn up? I've been unhappy
>with the clamping set up on the machine I bought from Kent Galloway
>some time ago. The angles were rather precise but that doesn't mean
>much if you can't hold the hammer head steady while you drill it.

Glad you like it.  I've added to the description at
<http://pianomaker.co.uk/technical/boringmachine/> to give a better
idea of how it is used in practice.  As you see the holding of the
hammer-head is just a one- or two-finger job, very natural and
completely reliable.  The only real need to hold the hammer at all is
to prevent it being drawn into the drill.

As to the drawings for it, I'm not sure they ever existed.  I've
recently found detailed plans I made for a hammer-covering machine in
1978 based on an old German patent -- a project I may even revive --
but I imagine I did this machine on the back of an envelope or simply
worked it out as I went along.  I do remember having to take a very
big duster to my trigonometry to calculate that curve, though.  It
took me ages.

One thing I'd like to do when I have time is to mkae the carriage
fixed and the drill movable and actuated by solenoid, treadle or
compressed air.  However, I've left it as it is because it's
self-contained and can go anywhere.

JD