Soundboard installation, next topic : the glue

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Jan 23 10:32:06 MST 2008

Hi JD & David
    All good points of view
  While Hide glue is the easiest to remove, I have removed a  new board,
installed by some other maker that unfortunately & tragically for  all
concerned....failed.  It was glued in with  epoxy. Ughh!.
    I posted a bout this a year or so ago. After my  initial frustration &
request here for help I removed most of it on the rim  with the Makita 1 1/8 th
inch hand held belt sander. An invaluable tool for  belly heads. I was able to
sand off the majority of the epoxy Very carefully primarily with the front
round tip  of the tool & with out destroying the beautiful machined surface.
Dust  mask on!.
   That surprisingly took about 15 minutes.  For the  notches I used an off
set laminate trimmer to clean up which took about 30  minutes or so. The
residue right next to the rim came off with a  chisel.
    It takes us a couple hours of scraping to get the  hide glue off &
    I would prefer this to sanding any day. We employ  the usual vinegar& hot
water solution accompanied by a steam iron  & requisite scraping.  The un-
sanded  & original  beautiful machined joint appears and all is well.
  All that to say epoxy or whatever can be done fairly  painlessly when need
be with other methods.
  David. Next time take a sharp low angle Plane to get the polyester  off the
board.  Goes fairly quickly.  AMHIK.
  Dale

 moreI was more using your post for a springboard to address the  topic of
soundboard replacement or not.  It may not have been what you  were really
addressing.  I agree, that on the glues, I think for the  board you need to
use whichever adhesive gives you the best chance of a  successful glue joint
and that really trumps all other concerns.  While  the techniques for
removing various residual adhesives may vary, nothing is  undoable and
hopefully it won't have to be done very often.

Having recently tried to scrape a polyester finish off a soundboard that  I
was hoping to reuse or remove bushings attached with PVC does make  one
sympathetic to choices of adhesives and finishes in other  situations.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com