OT- Websites

sarah at graphic-fusion.com sarah at graphic-fusion.com
Sun Jan 27 17:22:21 MST 2008

Hi Paul,

Congragulations on your website.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to view it,
as it is blocked by Trend Micro (see below sig).  I could override the
block, of course, but I didn't.  I just thought I'd give you the heads up.

You can also edit web pages with Microsoft Word, which most of you probably
already have.

For all it's worth, a good professional web designer has a wealth of
experience to handle matters like this, to program special functionality,
to create sophisticated graphic designs, to maximize search rankings, and
to organize a site for future expansion.  We web designers/programmers are
a bit like piano technicians.  A piano may appear to be a simple mechanical
device, and most people with any general mechanical competence might be
able to "fix" what's broken and even to tune the piano with a little Korg
tuning meter, but that doesn't mean they'll do a very good job.  A
professional piano technician knows a trick or two from decades of
experience and from total immersion in the field.  Sometimes it's worth a
bit of outlay to benefit from those decades of experience and to have the
job done right.

As can obviously be deduced from what I've written, I am a professional web
designer, graphic artist, and photographer.  If anyone is interested, I've
been programming since 1976, and I've lost count of the number of languages
I've learned, known, forgotten, etc.  I'm proficient in HTML (obviously)
and JavaScript.  I've been doing photography since the age of 6, darkroom
work since the age of 11, and digital photoediting since 1996.  My rate is
$100/hr for photographic, graphic, or programming/design work, if anyone is
interested.  I'm just tossing out my information as what I hope is an
attractive alternative to the free/DIY BlueVoda.  As with work on the
piano, you usually get what you pay for.  I think I produce some pretty
good results.  Besides that, I am a web designer who knows something of
pianos, which I think is an interesting niche qualification.

Peace,
Sarah

PS I hope this doesn't come across as a "pissy" posting, as it's not
intended as such.  Imagine yourself in a situation in which you are trying
to defend why it's good to hire a professional to tune the family piano,
and I think you'll understand both my tone and my motives.

Here is the Trend Micro message:

Blocked by Trend Micro
  Trend Micro Internet Security Pro has identified this Web page as
undesirable.

----

  Address:
http://www.mail2web.com/cgi-bin/redir.asp?lid=0&newsite=http://www.pianoserv
sd.com

If you still want to see this blocked page:
Click the Windows Start button and launch Trend Micro Internet Security Pro
from the list under All Programs.

Click Internet & Email Controls.

Click the Settings... button under Parental Controls or Protection Against
Web Threats.

Click the List of Approved Web Sites link in the next window that opens.

Copy and paste the address of the blocked Web site into the list.

  Note: If you think that Trend Micro Internet Security Pro should not
block this Web page, please notify Trend Micro by clicking this button:

----

Copyright © 1995-2007 Trend Micro Incorporated. All Rights Reserved.

Hi, All:
    For those of you that don't have a website, or would like to take
control of your own, I have found a very good alternative to:
    a) paying someone hundreds of dollars to make one for you;
    b) buying expensive software and spending countless hours learning how
to do it; and
    c) going to some website and downloading a ready-made template that
looks like every other template-made cheapo website.
    It's called BlueVoda.  The software is free, and you can create any
effect you want, just like to "big boys".  You can insert any images,
links, special effects, whatever into your web pages.
    I have an online scheduling service ( www.appointmentquest.com ) my
site links seamlessly to.  Actually, I created  my website specifically to
use this online scheduling service.  (Thanks to Brad Smith for the
heads-up!  www.smithpiano.com  ).
    Ok, so my first attempt (see my site below) is nothing to rave about.
But it cost me zip- and I can do anything I want with it.  Not only do you
get the software for free, but there are literally thousands of people who
can help you via the forums on the BlueVoda site. There are many video
tutorials available, and tons of support.  VERY cool.
    Click on the link below.
    Just thought I'd pass along a good thing.

    Paul McCloud
    San Diego

Paul McCloud
pmc033 at earthlink.net