insurance

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 29 14:42:47 MST 2008

Does insurance which PTG members buy on their business (I know, I've been
avoiding the obviously necessary),  cover sexual harrassment issues?   I've
tuned for a school district for years, with not a problem.  But next year
Texas State law will require fingerprinting.  In the district where I have
tuned, a retired teacher doing a long-term substitute position has already
been accused of "bruising a girl".  This is a man of such expertise and
character that it would be appropriate to introduce him as "The Esteemed Mr.
X".  Next year it will be state law in Texas that all persons who have
contact with students be fingerprinted.

I've talked to two teachers who have said it is not legally required to
carry personal liability insurance over and above what the district has, but
if they don't have such they are incredibly stupid.

The level of implied guilt this threatens really bothers me, and teachers
have said it should. I have sent a draft of my resignation letter to two
administrators, one of whom has already informed me that for my own safety I
am wise to get out of the district.    This, after two days ago having an
orchestra director find me an hour after tuning in her room to thank me for
spending time with a couple of her students who were so excited to learn a
few things and get a chance to tune a note or two.    It's incredibly sad,
this world in which we live.

So, how is this handled by others who do elementary and high schools?  I am
thinking seriously of telling the attendence people that I wish a security
person or an administrator walk me to my work area in every school.

les bartlett