Do you dry the ribs, along with the board, prior to gluing ?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Jan 31 13:35:14 MST 2008

Didnt mean to make fun in any negative sense of the word Thump... heck
you are one of my favorite characters here.

That said... if you want to be able to predict with any reasonble chance
of meeting expectations what your outcome will be from any kind of crown
restoration... you have to know a few things... certainly need to
understand the relationship between downbearing and panel strength.

Dont get me wrong.... seems sometimes like most rebuilders... certainly
many many over here are in that same bull pen.  It is common place over
here when shimming an old panel to lower the plate so as to purposefully
increase downbearing.... this without regard or even awareness that the
string deflection angle they decide on will push the panel into reverse
crown within days or weeks of bringing the thing up to pitch.

Nice bit is tho... you dont have to stay in that pen... nor do you at
the same time have to accept any particular gospel about soundboards.
Some basics apply to all methods of soundboard construction....

Cheers
RicB

        Well, thanks for making fun of me, but I've been very busy with
        other things these last 12 months and, no have not fully
        followed the discussion. But unlike many on this list who are
        too proud to admit not knowing some tidbit of mundane
        information, I'm not afraid to ask.

         Thanks for filling me in.

         Thump