[pianotech] Service Call

tom tomtuner at verizon.net
Sun Nov 16 20:27:27 PST 2008

Matthew,

You have received some excellent suggestions on your service call question.

My take is to remove the pencil without charge if I'm in the area. (My
territory is geographically small anyway)

If the client is far away or is a Yutz I do charge for my time and gas.

I had a 10 minute call 10 minutes from my house last week and charged the
guy --who by the way is a client of 20 + years-five bucks.

He laughed and threw me a sawbuck. Lunch the next day was on him.

One last thing .In my opinion the guy who charges $120.00 for five minutes
won't get the chance to charge that customer again.

I know everyone has to make a living and our time is valuable but

I know I'd be frosted and would be unlikely to call that technician back.

Ask yourself-How would I like to be treated in a similar situation and do
what you feel is right.

Tom Driscoll RPT

Subject: [pianotech] Service Call

What is the ethical way and amount to charge a service call to a client who
has has lost something through the fallboard and you are called to remove
it?

I know of a tech who charges $120 per tuning, and his minimum service call
is $120.  Removing an object that has fallen in the piano takes fives
minutes, or less!

What is the correct approach to fairness on me and my client?

Matthew Todd, Piano Technician