[pianotech] graphite and center pins?

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 09:36:47 PDT 2009

I spoke with Phil Glen about this when he worked for Young Chang. He said
the problem was that they put too much felt in the shank which upon a period
of use would start to expand and grab the pin. He recommended reaming and
repinning as a permanent fix. By removing the extra felt you can get a
stable result.

 Interestingly it is almost always the notes that are played the most that
seize up first - which is counter-intuitive to some piano owners who think
that pianos are stiff when new and then loosen up as they get "broken in".

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter