[pianotech] justify pitch raise

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Apr 4 22:49:02 PDT 2009

Greg Newell wrote:
> Ron,
> 	Your world is much like my world. Even though I use an ETD and can
> show the customer just how far off the piano is when I get there I try to
> satisfy their criteria not my own. I'm certainly glad that I'm not a
> customer of anyone who employs such stringent rules for their tunings. I'd
> feel so ... used.
>
> Greg Newell

Well, yea. That has been sort of my reaction. As a consumer,
I've perpetually wished for a rational criteria against which
I'm otherwise arbitrarily bled. For the most part universally
lacking one from my bleeders, I try to supply rational
justification to my bleedees, so they don't feel arbitrarily
bled. If I charge them, they've bought something I consider
necessary rather than merely profitable to me. A quick look
around tells me that this isn't necessarily the usual
approach, which I consider a sad testament to the state of the
profession. But then we don't all live in the same world, and
given a monoseasonal climate, I'd very possibly be really put
out by having to deal with a monster 3 cent pitch change when
the norm is a 20 minute touch up of a tuning that hasn't
realistically moved since I last did it. We may all carry the
same credentials, but we don't all have the same job to do.

My April 4 take (for 12 more minutes).
Ron N