[pianotech] Board: trash or keep protocol

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Apr 7 04:46:52 PDT 2009

David Ilvedson wrote:
> Bwwaaarrgggghhhhh?????   What the heck is that?

It's the sound of the chaotic attack distortion of an
overdriven board, the sound folks who don't believe
soundboards ever die can't hear even when it's demonstrated.

> Let's talk about bearing/crown.   What are you looking at?

Bearing and crown. When both are evident and measurable
everywhere you can get to measure, you more likely have a
viable structure.

>When I
> listen to an old piano and I hear good sustain and dynamic
> range, I think we have a good board.   But beyond that,
> what kind of crown...bearing is also helpful?
>
> David Ilvedson, RPT

I've seen many a piano, rebuilt and otherwise, that sounded
quite good in May with the humidity at 75%, that had a
wretched killer octave area in January with the humidity at
30%. These pianos all showed zero or negative crown in the
killer octave, and barely measurable to negative bearing.
Assessed by sound alone in May, they would show the true
realistic condition of the soundboard in January, after the
rebuild.
Ron N