[pianotech] Drilling a pin Block

Emerson Torrey Emerson at diprete-eng.com
Tue Apr 7 05:00:14 PDT 2009

Thanks so much for you prompt and kind responses. I feel welcome in your group. If I had to do this over again perhaps I would have chosen the softer wood to fashion the pin block. No matter it is in the harp now. All these great respones prompt even more questions.

The replies have me leaning towards Nicks response and his expertise on Delignit (glued steel). I did drill out from some of the scrap delignit lumber and tried to drive a 2/0 pin in. It was very tight. I can move it but my fear is more in driving it to it rest spot.

I think I will order a .272 drill and give it another go.

I have already ordered and received  the 2 1\4" pins.

Do you think i should reconsider this as well? That was the size that came out of the piano.

There is a total of 30 large counter sunk screws that I have drilled out for and i have most of them in place.

My final question on this list would be in finding centers coming through the bushings into the pin block. I assume I estimate the 5 degrees back and drill through the bushings making a shallow hole in the pin block  and then remove the block and setup to do the drilling on a drill press. Is this the norm?

Thanks again !.

Emerson M.Torrey