[pianotech] Pin size

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 05:53:09 PDT 2009

Bob: 12 hours, give or take a half hour, if I'm not restringing. I use to do
the job in one killer day, but when I hit 50, I decided to do it the easy
way, and work 8 hrs. one day, and return the next morning and be done by
lunch. I average 20 pins an hour, can do 25 if I really push myself but
that's moving every second, but it's wearing on me to try to work that fast,
so I usually don.t unless I'm trying to finish a section before I leave the
first evening. I always bring along a headset (instead of earplugs) and tune
into a local radio station. I bring sandwiches the first day, and except for
bathroom days, never leave the piano. It's monotonous work, but makes a huge
difference for the piano. I like the feel of the pins when the job is done
much better than when CA glue is used. Torque is usually up to the end of my
torque gauge with no jumpiness at all, just a smooth turning pin. Chuck