[pianotech] Subject: Broken plate

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 16 11:38:04 PDT 2009

That is a very true story.  This fellow was a member of my chapter, the
Western Michigan Chapter.  Terry Zimmerman was his name.  I can't recall
anymore if he had to buy her a piano that was equivalent to what she had or
if he had to buy her a brand new piano.  He lost because the judge said that
it happened while HE was working on the piano.  Therefore, HE was
responsible for any damages to it.  Since then, he has customers sign
waivers.  If I remember correctly and I may not as this was something like
30 some years ago, it was to the tune of over $2,000 but, I'm not too sure
about the cost.  Too long ago to remember it.

I had a Janssen console one time, I raised it over 1 full tone to A/440
during the winter months.  6 months later, in mid July, she called saying
she heard this loud BANG!!!!!!!  She opened up the piano and saw a big crack
in the "gold part of the piano."  Yep, it was the harp.  Fortunately for me,
I warn everyone if I have to raise pitch 3/8 tone or more of the
'possibility' of harp and string breakage and we are not responsible for it.
She understood the situation and bought a new piano.  I always ask my
customers..  Do you wish for me to continue?  I then proceed from there.  I
have never had them sign anything..  I know, I  should.