[pianotech] plate breakage

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Fri Apr 17 09:20:52 PDT 2009

On Apr 17, 2009, at 10:03 AM, Jeff Deutschle wrote:

> I've been explaining less and less to customers and just do what I
> think is best, unless there is a large expense. I did mention the
> possibility of string and plate breakage on a dinosaur that was 300
> cents flat, though. I was kind of nervous on that one. Turned out
> fine.
>
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Leslie Bartlett
> <l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Do you who have had troubles with this (others too) tell customers
>> about the
>> significant possibility of string breakage and plate breakage before
>> starting a pitch raise?
>> les bartlett
>>

> --
> Regards,
> Jeff Deutschle

I explain that the customer has hired us *specifically* to bring the
tension of all the strings back to what they were at the factory.  If
the plate or strings break, it's because the piano is not in the same
condition as when it left the factory.  So unless I'm on the wrong
pin, I never say "I broke a string", I say "the string broke", just
like tires go flat.

I mention the possibility of string breaking, just because it's so
loud, and I reassure the customer that I have spare wire with me, and
that I take precautions to avoid breakage (like dropping pitch
slightly first on each string).

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
ABQ, NM