[pianotech] [CAUT] More Bohemia

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Apr 27 03:39:25 PDT 2009

Hi David.

    Richard B -
    Granted that I actually know very little, have no taste to speak of,
    and that you could use some work with your links, but all that
    aside, I think the piano and tuning sound excellent. Very musical
    I'll go back to read what you wrote about the tuning system.

Thanks muchly. Should mention that the Troll Classics website is not my
doing. That's all the work of Arne Wilhelmsen the sound engineer. Its
still a work in progress as the whole concept is still in very early
stages. Still, both the site and the location of the studio along with
the fine arts direction they are moving in have very much potential.

    The recording quality was better than the live performances on the
    web site, but the site, too has much potential...a beautiful looking
    studio.

Yes, its a nice looking place.  The acoustics actually need a bit of
working on, and for live concerts they really have to do something about
ventilation. Gets way to hot as soon as more then 30-35 people show up.

    Suzanne needs a sandwich, or is that just camera angle?

Well, she may appear a bit thin around the waist from pictures and the
vidoe from Troldsalen at Edvard Griegs museum, but she is a quite
attractive young woman with a very sensual style of playing. Her whole
self seems to just move with the music. Funny how some players simply
seem to have that and others have body movements (or noises) that either
seem contrived or somehow distract.

    So now I must ruefully entertain the possibility that you might,
    occasionally actually know what you're talking about.  What's the
    world coming to?

Gawd.... thats a scary thought even for me :-) !  Seriously tho... there
is a good deal written actually now about P-12ths.  I'd suggest starting
with Gary's article from 1982.  It contains some very fine observations
that you wont find anywhere else. Hunting through the archives can be
time consuming... but there are some good tidbits there. Stopper made
himself known to us about 6 years back and has a well pondered out
specific system and analysis of P-12ths in classic interval fraction
form.  I think he removed that paper from his website but if he will
share it with you it is also a good read.

I'll post later on this evening a description of how I presently execute
my own P-12ths on Pocket Tunelab.  A bit more manual an approach then
some may prefer... but then on the other hand it allows for more degrees
of freedom to account for personal tastes.

Cheers
RicB

    Nice - Cheerful

    David Skolnik
    Hastings on Hudson, NY

        Richard Brekne wrote:
         >Hi Folks
         >
         >A couple weeks back I posted a link to a cut from a CD I
        worked on
         >in the fall last year. This was an old style recording in as
        much as
         >the pianist just sat down and played each piece one after the
         >other... no editing. Live cuts so to speak.  The Producer and
        sound
         >engineer were kind enough to let me post one more cut from this
         >album so I decided to offer up the very first piece played.
        Again
         >the piano was tuned just once in the morning and that was all it
         >got. So this is fresh tuned with my Tunelab based P-12ths
        approach.

         >The entire record can be had from http://trollclassics.com/.
        These