[pianotech] stuck damper upstop rail

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Fri Dec 4 16:28:49 MST 2009

David writes:

>>I wanted to adjust the damper upstop rail on a rebuilt M&H AA yesterday. The
rail was set too high.   I pulled the action and found the upstop rail was
nailed in place with 4 nails all driven flush.
Anyone ever run into this before?<<

Oh yes,  the flush part is usually not a factory thing, somebody later on wasn't thinking.  You will need to pry the rail, right at each nail, until there is a little gap,
then tap the rail back flush to expose enough nail to get pliers of some sort on.  (or do what I did 30 years ago, try to dig around the nails to get some grip and just
screw the whole thing up...

regards,
Ed Foote RPT