[pianotech] Replacing plastic elbows

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Dec 8 12:51:34 MST 2009

Gerald Groot wrote:
> *I've replaced literally thousands and thousands probably tens of
> thousands of these stupid plastic elbows over the years.  What a dumb
> design.  *

Is that the only dumb design you've seen in pianos? And look
at all that money you made replacing them, then replacing them
again.

> *You mean to tell me that none of you people have experienced any of the
> replacment sets breaking again either from faulty material which there
> was a lot of during one period of time many years ago or, as they aged
> again?

In my case, never. Not one in 30+ years. Nor do I recall
anyone else mentioning any actual failures until now. I've
seen a lot of them that had to be cleaned up, and flashing
trimmed and such, and a few that came loose because someone
didn't clean them up and didn't get them snapped in right, but
not a single broken replacement after installation in the
thousands I've also seen.

> *Yat Lam Hong has been recommending using only wooden ones for 30
> years.  Perhaps for the same reason as me.*

Objection - blatant speculation!
Ron N