[pianotech] hot box dimensions

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Dec 12 18:34:28 MST 2009

When I built mine I left it uninsulated and leaky at first.  The only
problem was that I couldn't get the inside temperature quite high enough to
easily achieve the EMC that I wanted with the DC rods and mini fan that I
was using (San Francisco tends to be cool).  So I found that insulated and
leaky was ok but not insulated and sealed.  You need some air exchange, it
seems, to allow the moisture to escape.  But with the insulation I able to
easily get the box to 80 degrees, 30% RH which hit my 6% EMC right on
target.  For insulation I just tacked up a moving blanket in the back of the
box and rigged up a way to loosely hang one covering the doors, easily
removable to get them opened up--very high tech.  I suppose had I used a
more high powered heater that might not have been necessary.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com