[pianotech] Feurich of Germany

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat May 2 05:29:00 PDT 2009

Granted.  But then we have a case here where a Steinway D is perhaps
going to be rebuilt by Fuerich.  That said, I know that German
rebuilding shops are much more respectful of original design/building
methods and sequences then American shops in general. Strengths and
weakness's on both sides of that fence as far as that goes.  But there
are several very competent shops stateside that also have this more
European attitude, so I am sure shipping to Europe is quite unnecessary.

In fact... strikes me that about the only reason I could see for
shipping a piano over seas for rebuilding is to do exactly the
opposite.  It is Stateside and in Australia all the heretics are
found.... and some of them do very excellent work. Well thought out,
resulting in beautiful piano sound.... creations all their own. In fact
I am working very hard on a project with a beautiful old Steinway C from
around the turn of the century (1900). The thought is to get one of the
RC&S camp to rebuild the thing after their protocols, bring it back to
Norway as part of a seminar introducing these design principles to Europe.

Europe could use a bit of loosening up.... as long as people are making
very educated design changes I see no reason not to. Indeed... its all
in line with that wondrous creativity that once moved the entire
industry. Respect is a fine virtue... but it has more then one face me
thinks.

Cheers
RicB

    Ric,
    I can understand this it if it is a Hamburg instrument and the owner
    want it to be restored in Hamburg to get it back as original as
    possible.

    What i see from many competent rebuilders in the US is that many of
    them try to add some of their own extra design features to improve the
    instrument, what is often not what the owner wants for sake of
    originality.

    Regards,

    Bernhard Stopper