[pianotech] Item found inside pianos

Tom Gorley tomgorley88 at sonic.net
Thu Dec 16 23:19:54 MST 2010

While tuning in an older expensive house, I heard an occasional "chirp" sound coming from the inside hallway.  The old woman apologized for the sound, and explained that the exterminators had been here a few times to try and locate the beetle.  They were to come back again tomorrow and break into the wall.

I asked, "Do you have a smoke detector in the house?"  She said, "Yes, down the same hall."  I told her that the chirp was the smoke detector telling her that the battery was low and needed replacing.  I offered to stand on a chair, and reach up to the ceiling to disable it for her, but she refused my offer.

I think she passed away during that year, so I never found out what eventually happened.

   ---Tom Gorley