[pianotech] was middle pedal, now missing treble dampers

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Tue Dec 28 01:09:28 MST 2010

On 12/27/2010 11:40 PM, Thomas Cole wrote:
> but it's hard not to react when the call starts out with, "Since you
> tuned it..."

Yes, of course it's something we never want to hear, but it's caused by
a pretty universal tendency of people, called "buyer's remorse". The
only thing I've found to do about it is to offer assurance from the
get-go that any trouble which arises will be dealt with. On the way out
of the door, I often say, "Call me if it gives you any mischief." That
way the customer won't be rushing over as soon as I've left searching
out (and sometimes inventing) problems for fear that if they wait it
will be too late and I won't fix them.

An active imagination in an anxious customer is no friend of ours, IMO.
So best to quiet it ahead of time if at all possible. Head it off at the
pass.

In this imperfect life, call-backs happen. I try to smother them with
attention, which isn't that hard, because if your work is good,
call-backs are few and far between. If customers are unreasonable (and
every now and then one is IMPOSSIBLE!) it helps to remember that we are
professionals, and we aren't there for compliments. Professional decorum
will get us through these rough spots without embarrassment.

Susan Kline