[pianotech] Key top planing

Marcel Carey mcpianos at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 3 04:38:51 MST 2010

Hi Dale and other contributers to this thread.

>From the pictures I looked at, I'm only guessing that if you want to have less problems, the support for the keystick should not go beyond the balance hole. If there is any warping, it will generally happen at the balance hole. I think that if you support the stick from the front to the balance hole you should have a more reliable result. So you could either cut the support board, or glue a raiser that would only be as long as the keytops.
As for the debate of side clamping, I don't agree that the side of keys aren't 90 degrees. If they wouldn't be, the keys would be absolutely ugly from the front.
But if the keys have been recovered before and some careless tech removes wood from the sides while attempting to file the keytops, then you're in trouble.

Marcel Carey
Sherbrooke, QC