[pianotech] Action Ratios

jiimialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 06:58:27 MST 2010

David Love wrote:

> Thanks for that clarification and explanations, however, even with
> that the numbers don’t make sense. Let’s assume that the left side of
> the equation produces an action ratio of 5.5—a fairly standard target.
> Then if we look at the right side of the equation and target a key dip
> of 10mm, say. By your analysis the denominator would be 7.5 (.75 x 10)
> making the numerator 39.7mm representing blow distance minus
> let-off??? That doesn’t seem to bear any resemblance to what one would
> expect from an action ratio of 5.5 in practice. Clearly the
> dip-aftertouch number is at issue but the assignment of the AT number
> seems somewhat arbitrary in order to make the formula work. What,
> then, is the point of the right side of the equation at all?

Unless I'm completely missing something, the reason the right side of
the equation can't make proper sense with the left is that the action
actually has a variable ratio. 5.0 is @ half but considerable higher at
the beginning of the stroke, fallingand 0 at letoff. As I see that
equation, it is assuming the ration @ 1/2 stroke is constant throughout
the entire kestroke=not true. Action rations seem to me to be confusing
designations, since you really are talking either about an average (I
don't see that factored into the left side), or a fictitious static
number. No?

Jim I
grandpianosolutions.com