[pianotech] Ethics of prop sticks.

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Jan 9 07:57:45 MST 2010

Byeway222 at aol.com wrote:
> Whilst on the subject of prop sticks, how often have you seen a
> pre-recital Steinway with the long prop in the outer cup instead of the
> inner?

Oddly enough, it happens on other pianos too, and too often.

>In my experience this is invariably to do with the performers
> after rehearsal rather than stage staff.

These are both in homes, perpetrated by the owners, as are
most of the instances I've seen.

>Whilst I don't think that
> there is a real danger in this, it always looks so wrong and scary to
> me.

You apparently haven't had to re-mount the block the prop is
screwed to, or straighten out or replace mangled hinges, fix
chewed up lid and rim edges, or repair split props then, I guess.

If the venue is not one in my responsibility I feel reluctant
to do
> anything about it but sit throughout the concert feeling uneasy and
> slightly annoyed that no one else has noticed it.
>
> ric

I try to correct it whenever I see it, to avoid the potential
loud noise and waste of time and money on repairs.
Ron N