[pianotech] personal question- where did you learn PT?

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Jan 14 12:55:11 MST 2010

Hi Zoe,

I started from ground zero with Steve Brady at Univ of Washington back in
1991. I studied with him for a little over 18 months.  I joined the Guild
immediately and went to nearly every meeting while living in the Seattle
area for 15 years building my own business.  I also worked in a piano shop
with Roger Gable for a couple of years learning even more about
rebuilding, shop smarts, woodworking, etc.  Both mentors were fabulous.
I've learned something new every chapter meeting, went to as many
conventions as I could afford. Now as the technician for Univ. of
Nebraska, I never stop learning new things, have gone to 2 of the 5
Steinway seminars.  I figure the day I stop learning new stuff is the day
I go to meet my maker!

Try to find a mentor! I think Potter emphasizes that while taking his
course.

Good luck!

Paul