[pianotech] age-old question of what to charge for almost nothing

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 08:00:44 MST 2010

I was gonna say that I probably wouldn't charge unless it was a special
trip. But how many other service guys would charge nothing? That's why we
have the service call. And that's why we should explain that to the customer
ON THE PHONE before we take OUR time to make the service call. [Note to
self: do the last sentence! :-)  ]

We are not just tinkerers. OK, maybe we are. But, a huge effort was required
to learn these skills and have them ready at a moment's notice to solve
problems that are now ORDINARY TO US, but extraordinary to the customer.
Yeah, if they peered at it and pondered over it for a long time, they could
easily fix it -- just like we learned to do. Or maybe not. Some people just
don't understand mechanical things. E.g., I was trying to explain to one of
my biking buddies how to avoid stripping screw threads by turning
counterclockwise first and feeling the screw slip into the threads, then
turning clockwise. He just didn't get it. And there are others like that.
It's not innate genius with pianos, but people assume we're wizards. Maybe
the bushy eyebrows help, but the chief reason why we know our stuff is
because we spend so much time doing it and thinking about doing it. We
should be compensated for our time, since there are fewer and fewer people
who do really good piano work.  The unfortunate thing is that there are many
shade-tree technicians who can make stuff sort of work; and there are many
piano owners who are accustomed to poorly functioning pianos. But just
because that's so doesn't mean we should shortchange ourselves.  I gotta
stop --- starting to sound like David Andersen. :-)

CHARGE!

<G>

For good customer relations, maybe it would be wise to offer to evaluate the
piano while you're there. Take 15 minutes, check things out. Then you've
offered reasonable service besides just removing a pencil. It removes all
perceptions of greed, whether or not that perception is warranted.

Now ... don't you guys do as I do; do as I say do. <G> ('Cause I'm one of
the world's worst about not charging for service.)

Speaking of the matter of charging for our services, I was on the phone
yesterday with Young Chang discussing some needed warranty work for a
vertical piano. John Chang said that it was YC's policy to pay a maximum of
$35 per hour. I was rather shocked, as that rate is low for an independent
tech. The work needed would take all of a long day. The idea of a really
long day of precise work, with only $350-400 at the end of it, with no
mileage allowance, did not appeal to me.  Now, in a terrible economy, I'd do
the same work for survival rates, and perhaps $350 will sound dreamy in the
future. But I don't think we're at that point yet.

--
JF