[pianotech] age-old question of what to charge for almost nothing

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Jan 15 08:02:39 MST 2010

Why didn't she call her regular technician (if she is not your client)?  Is
she just having you come because the regular person couldn't or wouldn't for
free?  Is she shopping a new technician?  Are you interested in establishing
this person as a new customer and is that an option?  You need to tell her
up front that you have a minimum charge (on the phone) so that there's no
surprise.  That gives you a chance to see what she expects and if she
expects you to work for free (or less) you can decide to accept or reject
it.  Tell her you typically have a minimum and then ask if there's anything
else that needs doing while you're there.  If not, and if she objects to the
full minimum fee and if you want to try and ingratiate yourself and if you
can schedule it geographically so that it can be done while you are in route
to something else you can make a compromise of your minimum charge to
whatever seems reasonable, maybe a 30 minute charge.  If you have to drive
out of your way to get to her place then stick to your minimum.  Tell her,
when you are there, that if she wants to avoid these kinds of things in the
future you can show her how to remove a pencil herself.  I wouldn't worry
about word getting around that you're cheap, it's a false concern.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com