[pianotech] Return visit

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Sun Jan 17 14:10:43 MST 2010

Use one of the PTG printouts that explains the seasonal change
affecting a piano, also Dampp-Chaser has some nice printouts that
explain the problem.
It is hard for some people to realize that the humidity has such an
effect on their piano.
I write the temperature and humidity on each of my bills, just for
this exact situation. If you don't have one, get a hygrometer, they
are available from the supply houses, and Radio Shack.
I find that in some instances, it is better to wait till the humidity
change has been in effect longer, for customers like this. Especially
one with a wood stove.
So change her yearly tuning to end of December or January, that way,
the change will be gradual. after your tuning, and she shouldn't
notice it as much.
It really must be emphasized to her, that the piano should not be near
the wood stove.
Would she be open to a Dampp-Chaser installation?
John Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia.