[pianotech] Return visit

pianofritz50 at aol.com pianofritz50 at aol.com
Sun Jan 17 17:18:40 MST 2010

Rick, I also bring a Humidity Gauge along w/ me for every tuning, and I record the %RH in my "little book of notes".  It can sometimes help me anticipate any future problems in pitch & unisons.

But the real issue is, and your customer can call any/all other tuners for confirmation, that no tuning is guaranteed much past a few days.
When the humidity (& secondarily the temperature) changes, the tuning & unisons will too.
When the humidity (& secondarily the temperature) changes DRASTICALLY, the tuning can change DRASTICALLY too.  Especially without a DC or like.

As to customers having their pianos tuned 1/yr or 2x/yr or even more often, I tell them that I'll call back in a year for another tuning.  Then I say: "But if the piano does change (which it will) and you want it tuned earlier, please call and I'll schedule an earlier tuning."  Regardless of whether I tune the piano 1/yr or sooner... I charge for a regular tuning.  And if it's more than 10-15 cents off, I know instead of running thru the piano on a standard tuning that I'll need to perform an extra pass (aka Pitch Raise), along w/ (a mild scolding &) explanation of humidity's role in keeping their piano tuning stable, AND the same changes affecting any/all of their wood furniture.

Along w/ earlier comments about making sure one has "stable" pricing (aka $xx for yy job), you might want to consider at what "cents away from target pitch" that you will advise the customer for the need for a Pitch Raise.  -40 cents would definitely qualify in my book.

So for this customer, I'd advise that "I've run into other pianos needing a sooner tuning, due to the weather, and (warn that) if the pitch is lower than xx, that it will require a $yy Pitch Raise as well.  After that...  as I learned in the sales business, let your competitors have the bad customers.  Don't worry too much about a bad referral from "her".  People who know her will probably not value what this witch says, anyway.

Bill Fritz, St Louis