[pianotech] Return visit

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Sun Jan 17 18:11:04 MST 2010

I don't agree with not being concerned about a bad referral from THIS
particular customer... Rick pointed out in his first statement that this is
a piano teacher.  Can't you just hear it? "Mrs. Smith says that Rick guy is
a liar and a thief... he tried to tell me that my piano went out of tune
because of the weather!"

As I pointed out in an earlier post on this thread, my observation is that
most people are totally unaware of the effect of weather (humidity,
actually) on a tuning, so who they gonna believe? The tuner that makes money
from out of tune pianos? Or the piano teacher who "must" know about such
things?

Further case in point... I went to tune a POS/PSO spinet (hardly even
Piano-Shaped, actually) that the customer had just bought for $100. Their
teacher (whom I know and have tuned other PSO's for) endorsed their purchase
of this thing. Approximately half the hammers had either no felts or
half-off felts, and from the remaining usable hammers it was apparent that
it would have badly needed regulation. When I told the customer how much for
repair, she decided to get a different piano.

When I later tactlessly told that piano teacher that it was a "piece of
junk" she started trying to give me all sorts of excuses, and that's the
last I've heard from her.  It's OK by me though, and surprisingly enough, I
do still occasionally get a referral from her (the teacher.)

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 6:18 PM, <pianofritz50 at aol.com> wrote:
 <snip>

> After that...  as I learned in the sales business, let your competitors
> have the bad customers.  Don't worry too much about a bad referral from
> "her".  People who know her will probably not value what this witch says,
> anyway.

</snip>