[pianotech] Wood stove - Rick Ucci

Ruth Phillips ruth at alliedpiano.com
Sun Jan 17 18:34:22 MST 2010

Rick,

You've gotten some great answers.  Listen to Dr. Will as he knows
whereof he speaks, being of the frozen tundra section of the US,
and a smart guy to boot.

In my area as well, RH goes from below Death Valley levels (way lower
than 20%), to 85-90%.  NH has longer periods of the extreme lows, and
a lot more people with wood stoves.

As to educating your client - manufacturers and PTG are our very
best resources. Manufacturers have, since time began, been telling their
consumers how to care for pianos. Use their literature.  The people
who made the piano have sage words on maintenance.  PTG has produced
wonderful hand-outs/mailers for the same purpose.  Consumers
need to know that this is not just a sales pitch, it's physics.
Dampp-Chaser has an excellent package of educational materials.

I have a habit of looking around the room for vents, radiators, cold
air returns etc. on my first visit.  That is the time to bring it up.
If I don't, when the inevitable occurs, it's my reputation on the line.

Key point:

Do everything possible for the room, but not to the point where you
will damage the structure of the home if you add any more moisture.
(Use the well-known Bemis chart as a guide to maximum room RH at given
outdoor/indoor temperature levels.)  Put in a full DC system.  Use
an undercover, and add a string cover, if needed.

Especially due to your location:

Lower the moisture level in the humid seasons to an approximation of
what you can achieve by raising it in the dry season, thereby minimizing
the drastic change.  I started playing with this in about 1982 with a
customer who had a stream under her house (wooded lot).
I decided to expand this quest after getting the desired results, and
got to where I would go, at no charge to the customer, to check the pitch
in the tenor, to see what was was going on with the humidity levels.  I
can't tell you how much I learned.  After a couple of years of this
at the business' expense, I could be pretty sure of what to expect. I
was making additions in wattage, re-arranging components, whatever it
took to get the pitch of F3 (or comparable) to settle down
through seasonal shifts. In those days it meant adding lots of short
extra rods. I hope this is helpful.
Best regards,
Ruth

Ruth Phillips
ruth at alliedpiano.com

>The pan on the stove is a drop in the bucket (or pan) in terms of the
humidity control needed.  It will lend the false sense that something
meaningful is being done, when that pan is inadequate to the task.

>The conversation I have with my wood stove customers goes thusly:

>Here in New Hampshire with our long, cold, and very dry winters, a wood
stove in the same room with a piano is ultimately the kiss of death.
Relative Humidity can drop below 20% in deep winter, and the corresponding
EMC of the wood can floor out in the 4% range, which is drier than most of
the components in the factory ever were dried to.  We know what happens to
soundboards, etc.

>The best thing to do is move the piano to another room away from the wood
stove.  They should not be together.

>If the piano must remain in the same room, it is imperative to get a large
humidifier and put it in that room, along with a decent quality room
hygrometer.  Try to get the RH over 30 % if possible.  40% is better but
that is limited by the condensation on the windows that may form.  But as
high as possible without damaging the window frames from the dripping
condensation. You may find the humidifier is putting 3 or 4 gallons of water
a day into the interior air.

>Install a damp chaser in the piano as well.

>Tune after the major humidity shifts so that the tuning will last as long
as
possible. The October tuning means that her piano is going to smack into the
dropping pitch wall sometime in December or early January. You could be the
finest tuner on the planet, and the pitch is still going to fall through the
floor.  Hell, you could tune it a week before and the result will still be
the same.

>Tell her that once a year is inadequate to her needs and the setting the
piano is in.  Two minimum, probably more.

>I would have forewarned this customer back in October that all bets would
be
off as far as tuning would be concerned once she got seriously into the
heating season with a wood stove.  That way when the tuning goes kablooey,
she will know that was the predicted result that came true.  If you do go
back to tune it, paid or unpaid, take pitch readings of say every octave on
C, and show her the results.

>What I might do to meet her in the middle a bit would be to offer to drop
by
and spend half an hour talking with her about humidity control on your dime,
but that if she wished you to retune the piano, that would be full price, as
you are not the cause of the tuning instability.  The inference that goes
with tuning the piano again for free is that it was your fault that it went
out of tune in the first place - which it is NOT.