[pianotech] Tuner's marks/cards

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 18 07:06:32 MST 2010

Or, service stickers which PTG sells and some technicians place right inside
of the bench itself.  Personally, I find it quite interesting to see a piano
that came from some other part of the country or world, with another tech's
name inside of it, the date of tuning, what was done along with how often it
was tuned.  In fact, I called a tech one time saying, hey, I know you, I met
you at such and such a  place.  They said, I wondered where that piano went.
We had a nice conversation about it for a while after that.

I always thought it was normal practice for everyone.  Guess it isn't.

For those wondering, we mark it like so in smaller letters than what I am
typing:  1-18-10: R 1/4-A/440.  Rem. act. ti. flgs, lub hangers. = (Removed
action, tightened action flanges, lubricated hangers for those that can't
read my short hand).  Or, card, clean, ti, sp, reg, level. 1-18-10.  I most
often use PTG's service stickers placing it on the pin block or under the
music rack on grands out of site of the customer.  Most like it a lot and
think it's kind of neat that they can look to see when it was last tuned
because time flies.

What's really neat for me, is that I never met my grandfather.  He died in
1946.   I'll read a tuning date in an old upright from 1926 that says JRG
tuned-440 1-18-1926.  So, for me, it's kind of cool to see his hand writing
here and there along with my dad's and his brother's.

Jer