[pianotech] pneumatic soundboard press?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Jan 18 22:03:35 MST 2010

jiimialeggio wrote:
> I'm upgrading my rib press.
>
> A couple of questions:
>
> 1-I had a discussion with Bruce Clark a while ago regarding the stopping
> the hose ends. His suggestion  was folded rather than plugged ends, as
> the plugged ends can turn into projectiles.  I like this approach as it
> seems to be simple, safe and cheap. It requires an air fitting though
> that attaches through the wall of the hose (other than a schradrer
> valve), but I can't remember what that fitting was. Anybody have a lead
> on what this through the hose wall fitting might be?

No, sorry. Mine have plugged ends (pipe plug and hose clamps),
and I found some very fine, very cheap valves at a local
salvage yard.

> 2-There are various choices of hose material. What material has been
> appropriate?

I use 1-1/2" fire hose. Urethane lined, 300psi test.

> 3-In use, does the  hose have a tendency to squirm around as its
> filled...seems like it would.  If so how do you control it. Seems like
> the ends of the hose have to be allowed to slide as the air is applied.

I glued the hose to the upper caul, which seems to have worked
well enough. The hose doesn't apparently grow in length under
pressure. Or if it does, it's not an obvious thing.

> 4-hose pressure from what I read is 45ish.Correct?

40-45 works for me.
Ron N