[pianotech] Renotching-Repinning-Reusing Bridges in rebuild

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Jan 21 06:04:43 MST 2010

David
  All pianos have false beats but several things have specifically reduced them for us in rebuilds and rehabs.

  1. A nice tight bridge pin (filed or unfiled)
  2. caps & holes treated with epoxy
  3. Mapes Gold wire
  4. We do not over pull new strings more than 15 cents from the git go. We string up to pitch. go back after there all on and bring them up to pitch plus 10 to 15 cents.

  I feel over stretching wire to be perhaps thee biggest cuplrit to creating false beats especially in the top octaves. It deforms the wire. How do you think Brand S gets the last capo section to sound that crappy and loaded with fase beats. Ok I don't know for sure but from experience I know that's how we used to get them.

   I don't think filing pins can be proven to spilt caps. but, driving in too tight a pin will. AMHIK. aannd, the tighter your grain the more of a possibility it can become. Use the recommended drill bit sizes. Usually .004 uder the stated bridge pin size is adequately tight.
 Dale

David Ilvedson wrote:
> Track record of the bridges with filed bridge pins and
> those not filed...is that OK?
What track record, is what I wondered. Tuning stability, false beats, cap splitting, ??? And how to eliminate variables other than filing the pins. It's a little like saying black pianos sound better. Actually, I've heard someone say that.

> You seem really defensive
> these days...

Not defensive, but I am trying to assign rational connections to piano work and research where I can.

>maybe it is because we are just not on your
> level?

We all live in the same physical world, man, and physics doesn't work any differently for one of us than for the other.
Ron N