[pianotech] Renotching-Repinning-Reusing Bridges in rebuild

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Jan 21 06:29:44 MST 2010

erwinspiano at aol.com wrote:

>   I feel over stretching wire to be perhaps thee biggest cuplrit to
> creating false beats especially in the top octaves. It deforms the
> wire. How do you think Brand S gets the last capo section to sound that
> crappy and loaded with fase beats. Ok I don't know for sure but from
> experience I know that's how we used to get them.

I haven't experienced this one, so...? Past experience has
shown me that loose bridge pins are responsible for most of
the false beating we find in trebles. Recent experience has
added high stiffness with low mass as a possibility, but it's
a much different sound. It all sounds nasty though.

>    I don't think filing pins can be proven to spilt caps. but, driving
> in too tight a pin will. AMHIK.

Uh, yes, unfortunately.

> Use the recommended drill bit sizes.
> Usually .004 uder the stated bridge pin size is adequately tight.

Yes, and either epoxy or CA to make very sure the pin is tight
at the top.
Ron N