[pianotech] iron plate

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 29 14:57:51 MST 2010

Folks,

I suggest that you check out the early Steinway uprights (1860's),
designed by Theodore Steinway - which were built on the "double plate"
design. I have a client in Oakland with such a "double plate" Steinway
upright. Yes, there is an iron "plate" (actually a network of struts)
behind the soundboard and the back posts as well as the usual plate in
front of the soundboard.. Some of the early Steinway grands from the
late 1850s (the so-called "Monitor" pianos - predecessors of the models
D and C)) also had the same sort of plate design - with plate struts
both above and below the soundboard. The expert on all this Steinway
lore would be Bill Shull of the Pomona chapter in California, who
thoroughly researched the early Steinway designs. I am not surprised
that other manufacturers used this "double plate" design also.

Israel Stein