[pianotech] Steinway technical and reference guide

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Tue Feb 1 14:24:59 MST 2011

Wim,

While it is true that Yamaha does not confer that title for attending
classes in Buena Park, CA (like Little Red School House), after attending
S&S NY classes, those technicians are allowed to advertise that they are
Steinway Factory Trained.  However, they are not allowed to advertise that
they are "recommended" or "endorsed" by Steinway.  But, (paraphrasing here)
as Kent Webb put it while I was there, [well, you ARE factory trained,
right?  I mean, you're here, getting training and this is the factory.  It's
a simple statement of fact, not a title we confer].  In the case of Yamaha,
however, the CA offices are not their "factory." so it is understandable
that they don't allow "factory trained" as a designation until you get to
Japan.

FWIW
William R. Monroe