[pianotech] Opinions vary. Could we leave it at that?

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 15:11:43 MST 2011

On 02/03/2011 09:28 PM, Wim Blees wrote:
> This is meant for Duaine, but also other tuners who use an ETD
exclusively.

Statements recently made by Wim:

1. When you tune an octave and/or a unison, how do you know which string of
the unison, or which note of the octave to tune? How do you know which one
is right?

2. I hate to burst your bubble, Duaine, but everyone who uses an ETD checks
their tuning aurally. That's what were supposed to do. The difference is,
unlike you, everyone else knows what they are doing when they aurally check
their tuning. They know how to listen for beats, and do all the various
checks, like thirds, double octaves, etc.

3. You're somewhat right. I am not necessarily trying to "bait" him, but I
am interested in how he uses his machine to tune a piano. He says he is a
hybrid tuner, one who uses aural checks, but perhaps he doesn't understand
what he is doing, and perhaps we, or I, can give him some help in that case.
That is, if he is willing to accept some help.

Wim<

Wim - Duaine is not the only one being mule-headed here. You could try
listening to others as well. Here are some thoughts to consider, before
going on and on about the deficiencies of the tuner who chooses to use an
ETD.

To back up a few days, Susan Kline wrote a very eloquent piece recently
about the timelessness of aural tuning, speaking of the beautiful underlying
architecture of the temperament that the aural tuner brings to light (sorry
if I'm misquoting you, Susan. I'm speaking from memory).

The thing of it is, that underlying architecture of the temperament exists
and is waiting to be revealed by the tuner - but whether the tuner uses his
ears or a machine to set the pieces of that architecture in place, it
doesn't matter. It's there to be discovered and revealed, and the end
result, if the piano is tuned by someone who knows his business, is a
beautiful thing.

The relationship between the vibrating strings of a piano is, after all,
mathematical. Compare the beauty of strings vibrating in harmony with one
another to the eternal celestial dance of the planets of our solar system
around our sun. Understanding the relationship of the heavenly bodies of our
solar system comes down in the end to an understanding of the math and
physics involved. If you know the mass of a planet and the distance of that
planet from the sun, you may deduce its orbital velocity. It all comes down
to numbers.

To appreciate the beauty of our solar system, however, nothing can top the
experience of actually looking at a planet through a powerful telescope and
seeing it with your own eyes. The first time you see first hand at the
mountains of the moon, the rings around Saturn, or Jupiter's giant Red Spot,
it will take your breath away.

So to with tuning a piano. Although one must listen with his ears to a piano
to appreciate the beauty of the harmony created, putting a piano in as
perfect of tune as possible comes down to purely mathematical relationships,
whether one is tuning by ear or by machine. Simply put, minimizing the
discord between partials and maximizing the harmony is what its all about.

The ETD I currently use, the Verituner, is calibrated to the piano before a
single note is tuned. Starting with A4 and A3, the machine records the
relative frequency of each of the first 8 partials for each note. I
generally go on to run from A2 to A5, letting the machine read each note's
partials. I then set the Verituner to calculate the tuning. Using the
information it has measured and recorded, it sets the temperament for the
piano using computations that are far beyond my pint-sized intellect.

>From that starting point I tune the piano. Being that it has mathematically
calculated the best tuning for the entire piano, not just for one particular
note, I set the temperament string for each note at the exact point it has
chosen, then tune the outside strings to the temperament string by ear. I do
not, as you have suggested Wim do "the various checks, like thirds, double
octaves, etc."  Why would I, when I trust my equipment to do the job of
finding the "sweet spot" for each note where harmony is maximized, and
discord is minimized.

The proof is in the pudding, as they say. As I mentioned recently, I have
logged over 5000 tunings on my Verituner. I can't honestly remember ever
losing a customer to another tuner, aural or otherwise. If you and others
enjoy tuning completely by ear, and are convinced of its benefits, fine. I'm
sure your tunings are first-rate. That your tuning is necessarily better
than the tuner who uses an ETD, I don't believe for one minute.

I know what works best in my own individual case. The day I start hearing
2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th partials in my head for every string,
and can calibrate them and remember them to degree that my Verituner can
(plus put them all in the best possible relationship using logarithms
devised at lightening quick speed) is the day I'll get rid of my machine and
tune completely by ear. It ain't going to happen.  Chuck Behm

P.S. Sarcastic comments that are intended to deflate another tuner's sense
of worth really get old, at least for me. I would like to be able to read
thoughtful posts made by people of differing opinions without getting the
feeling that I've inadvertently tuned in to a Jerry Springer show.