[pianotech] Opinions vary. Could we leave it at that?

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Fri Feb 4 15:32:22 MST 2011

On 2/4/2011 2:11 PM, Chuck Behm wrote:
> I do not, as you have suggested Wim do "the various checks, like
> thirds, double octaves, etc."  Why would I, when I trust my equipment
> to do the job of finding the "sweet spot" for each note where harmony
> is maximized, and discord is minimized.

Simple enjoyment of the sweet spots? Would you set up the telescope to
see the major wonders of the night sky for a computer to record, and not
look through it? Each piano is different. The ETD may indeed calculate
everything to some close approximation of optimum, but that destination
is different for each piano, and it might be fun to experience directly
how good or not good that instrument was capable of being? Not just
good-bad, but unique? Varying in unexpected ways from its fellow pianos?

Susan