[pianotech] Journal article

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Feb 5 09:19:23 MST 2011

On 2/5/2011 9:36 AM, Mike Kurta wrote:
> With regard to the nice article on split fingertips in the February
> Journal, the author makes reference to allowing heat and moisture from a
> clothes dryer to exhaust inside his home. He infers that others might
> increase the humidity within their homes by doing the same thing.
> My concern is with gas dryers. Does doing this not also exaust
> combustion gases, i.e. carbon monoxide into the living space? Am I
> missing something here?

My guess is he didn't consider gas dryers at all. So no, you don't want
to do that with a gas dryer. Realistically, if you need humidification
in the house, the rational thing to do is to install a real humidifier.

What he didn't mention is the best after the fact fix for split fingers
there is. Masking tape. No gooey hands, holds the split closed, retains
moisture, easily replaceable, durable enough to ignore as you go back to
work, and you can ignore it as the pain of the split ceases very quickly.
Ron N