[pianotech] CA pinblock with tight bushings

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 14 12:28:55 MST 2011

Mike asked:
"During a recent thread on CA for pinblocks, someone mentioned the idea
of drilling a small hole down through each bushing to improve the flow
of CA to the block. I believe this person had not tried it yet, but was
considering it. I have a situation (newish Asian grand, tight bushings,
loose block) where this might be the only way to get the CA where it
belongs. Has anyone tried this technique, and if so, with what results?
thanks"

Mike,
I think that was me. Good news....I have tried it and it works very well! I drilled a 1/16" hole down through each bushing. I had to do it on the piano, as it was an English Thang that had conical shaped bushings! BTW, this is my very most favorite upright in my collection. It had suffered some really traumatic conditons while out on loan. (grrrr!)
I used a 12" - 1/16" drill bit, (Ace Hardware, I believe the brand is Hanson), and a light weight corded variable speed drill. It's a bit time consuming, but the ease that the CA gets into the pinblock, far out weighs that, IMO! I put the piano on a tilter to make it easier. Worked like a dream.
Good luck,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police