[pianotech] Assessing Bass and steel wire strings for replacement

Dempsey Jr., Paul E dempsey at marshall.edu
Mon Feb 21 13:02:06 MST 2011

One thing I have learned in 47 years of piano work is that one cannot predict anything with any exactitude.

I have tuned many 70- 100+ year old pianos with original strings. With the presence or rust and corrosion, I've thought "wonderful, these strings are going to pop like popcorn" and often it doesn't happen. Other times they do, even on much younger instruments, sometimes without the help of rust.

Prepare the customer for the likelihood of breakage. Then make your recommendation accordingly.

You can lessen, somewhat, the chance of breakage by lowering the pitch of each string before bringing it up. Also, the judicious application of Protec or a similar lube over all the various friction points can help.

Another question to ask is, what shape is the pinblock, soundboard, bridges, etc.

New stings won't help much if these are seriously compromised.

Do bass strings and steel wire strings have a
life expectancy/sell by date?

Probably. But new or old, when a strings time has come it'll break.

Paul E. Dempsey, RPT
Piano Technician Sr.
Marshall University
Huntington, WV