[pianotech] Assessing Bass and steel wire strings for

The Davis Family (Mark, Janine, William, Stephen & Matthew) pianofortetechnology at saol.com
Mon Feb 21 15:00:14 MST 2011

Hello Paul

Thank you for your response.  I suppose when there is evidence of a few
string breaks then one can be sure it is time to replace, otherwise one
cannot tell.

Here in South Africa we are not able to get Protec due to the restriction on
importing flammable products.  But I read in Steve Brady's book on field
repairs that Naphtha mineral oil is the next best thing, so I use Zippo
fluid for friction points and sometimes on sticking center pins too.

All the best

Mark Davis