[pianotech] hammer mold (not molding, just mold)

Rob Mitchell tpa2sfr at pacbell.net
Tue Feb 22 12:01:44 MST 2011

I tuned a 1942 Knabe console for the first time today.  Nice sound, pristine
ivory keytops, and a healthy colony of mold growing on the hammers.  The
owner seemed sure the mold was not present the last time the piano was tuned
2 years ago.  The pattern of the mold would suggest that something was
spilled or sprayed into the piano, but again the owner denies any
possibility of this.  The piano was in a room that was fairly chilly but not
overly humid (the piano is placed against an outside wall).

I'm assuming the default would be to replace the hammers, although the
instrument probably isn't worth this.  But I thought I would check with the
hammer-experts out there to see if any other course of action might be
recommended.  It's been suggested that cleaning the mold and then applying
some sort of chemical mold-retardant (?) might work.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Rob

Mitchell Piano Service

(415) 994-1030

www.mitchellpianoservice.com <http://www.mitchellpianoservice.com/>