[pianotech] Temperature for Pinblock Drilling

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jan 2 13:46:15 MST 2011

On 1/2/2011 2:23 PM, Roger at Integra.net wrote:
> Steve,
> Temperature (within reasonable limits) isn't a primary factor for most
> woodworking tasks, although temperature influences the humidity, which
> can be a concern. Pin block drilling, particularly the material you
> mentioned with it's high glue content, would not be affected by the
> humidity (or temperature), again within reasonable limits. A "tag" in
> your inquiry raises some questions. Why are you working in a shop that
> is only 50 degrees? In my area of the country, a 50 degree shop with the
> almost 100% humidity outside is not enough heat to bring down the inside
> humidity to 50% or less. Woodworkers shops would be best if maintained
> at about 40% to 50% humidity.
> Roger Gable

RH% in Midland right now is 13%. The shop's probably a little higher
than that, but not a lot.

Steve,
It's better to drill them dry than humid. Depending on how the block has
been stored, it's at around 6% MC. This block will certainly react to
humidity changes, and get tighter as the humidity rises, and looser as
it falls. Go for it.
Ron N