[pianotech] price-negotiating customers

Mark Schecter mark at schecterpiano.com
Mon Jan 3 01:23:12 MST 2011

David,

I recently got an email that said "my last tuner charged $x, my max is $x+.05x, what are your rates?" I replied "My rate is $1.5x. Please call if I can be of service."

I was tempted to ask "And why aren't you calling back the $x guy?" but I refrained. I was also tempted to refer her to somebody cheaper, but I didn't know who, and besides, why should I? I don't know her, I do know her piano is marginal (she said so), I don't want to offend my friends, and I don't have any enemies. In short, she's doing it the way she thinks she needs to for reasons that don't matter to me, so I quote my rates and sign off. If she finds a reason to call, great, then I can refer her to a friend after she's realized she'll have to pay for good service. If she finds somebody willing to work for her quoted max, caveat emptor.

In short, you already realize your mistake, so next time, just softly say, "No." If you feel you must justify your rates, by way of explanation, you could say, "My manager/partner/spouse/boss won't allow it." If they persist, just smile and say, "I have a family to feed"' or "I have to pay my mortgage, too" or "My boat payment is coming up." Or say, I'm sure there is someone out there willing to work cheap, if you look long enough," but be careful how you say it, or they'll realize you're implying they're cheap.

You could also avoid the direct confrontation with their price grinding by sidestepping into a brief soliloquy like "I provide high quality service in a timely way, with concern for your piano's overall health and condition, and the ability and experience to deal with whatever problems might develop as [we] take care of it over the years. I don't just tune, I provide complete service. While you can surely find someone out there who will quote a lower price, I prefer to compete by providing better quality." Then stop. Let them think about whether they prefer cheap, or good. Then whatever they decide to do will probably be right for both of you.

-- Mark Schecter