[pianotech] price-negotiating customers

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon Jan 3 13:17:53 MST 2011

On 1/3/2011 9:48 AM, Ryan Sowers wrote:
> "I prefer to compete by providing better quality."

Well, yes and no. It's true that better quality gives one the best
competitive advantage, and also renders advertisement unnecessary.
However, when someone I'm thinking of hiring starts raving about the
quality of their work, alarm bells start ringing for me. It's like
seeing the words "Heirloom quality" or "We provide the highest possible
workmanship" on a decal in a piano. Most of the time, one can assume
that someone is talking about quality because idle talk is far easier
than providing the quality itself.

Susan Kline