[pianotech] Bass String Length Mismatch Tuning Trouble

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Jan 7 09:05:37 MST 2011

At 08:32 -0500 07/01/2011, Terry Farrell wrote:

>On Jan 7, 2011, at 7:51 AM, John Delacour wrote:
>
>>At 06:49 -0500 07/01/2011, Terry Farrell wrote:
>>
>>>...whether lengths of a couple millimeters difference in the
>>>wrapped speaking length in a pair of unisons would commonly
>>>present tuning problems?
>>
>>If it did then most Steinway grands would do so.
>
>Would do what - have beating bass strings?

Yes.

>If it's not carelessness, then it is by design? To what end?

Whoever ordered the strings sent wrong measurements by the look of
it.  The stringmaker has his lengths to within a millimetre, and you
can hardly get closer than that, and the irregularity at the front
end is consistent, and no stringmaker would deliberately do all the
strings so exactly wrong.

>>...the copper line is parallel both to the stud and the line of the
>>bridge pins,
>
>As is this piano. (I presume a "stud" is an agraffe?)

We learn your language, you can learn ours.

JD