[pianotech] advertising

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Wed Jan 26 00:27:46 MST 2011

On 1/25/2011 10:25 PM, Duaine Hechler wrote:
>> P.S. Just because you followed one really poor aural tuner doesn't
>> >  prove anything about the other ones.
>> >
> Here we go again with the lectures ......
>
> Fossil is right - and - you have know idea what you are talking about
In some cases, "fossil" could be considered a badge of honor.

I was pointing out that your example (while I believe it happened
just the way you say, and I'm glad that the piano owner was so
happy with your work) was evidently intended to be derogatory
toward aural tuning in general, and that one event does not
prove a general case. So, I think it was you providing the
lecture.

Have I used an ETD? For once, you thinks right. I did consider
buying one once ...

I can relate an email exchange which I treasure. Jim
Coleman, Sr. had asked the pianotech list's aural tuners how
they felt about the process of tuning aurally, and I had
sent a flowery kind of post about feeling directly in
touch with the instrument, and the universe, and all that
(or some such), and it occurred to me that he had no way
of knowing whether I could tune my way out of a paper bag,
or whether I was just blowing smoke. So I copied all the
concert recordings of my tunings which I had (I was pretty
thorough -- I sent them ALL to him <grin>).

And since he was selling ETDs, I asked him about whether it
would be a good idea to buy one, for when I was tuning two
pianos to each other, if neither could be moved. I usually
move one so I can play both keyboards at once.

And he replied, "Having heard your recordings, I don't think
you should waste your money."

Susan Kline (conceited fossil)