[pianotech] Fw: Tuning, was advertising

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Thu Jan 27 13:57:44 MST 2011

On 1/27/2011 5:48 AM, Ed Foote wrote:
> Do you want a carpenter that uses
> a measuring tape or one that eyeballs everything?
Ed, I think that a lot of your points are valid.

However, if we are buying custom free form furniture,
we probably want the eyeball guy, assuming his eyeball is
really good. It's like saying, if we're buying
calligraphy or a pen and ink drawing, do we want all
the letters exactly the same and all the lines totally
straight? Should the paper be totally blindingly
white and the ink utterly permanently black? The
computer can do that in an instant, but
the Durer woodcut still manages to find public
acceptance.

Not to say that any of us are Durer-class tuning
artists. But the ideal remains.

This discussion reminds me of a program about Japanese
woodworkers. One was visiting an American woodworking
club. The shop they were meeting in was fully equipped
with all the latest and best technology. If I remember
the commentary right, it said, "there were clamps of
all kinds, so good that the Devil himself would not
have been able to escape them, but [the visiting Japanese]
ignored them all and used one rusty nail."

Susan