[pianotech] The big discussion

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Thu Jan 27 22:49:26 MST 2011

On 1/27/2011 9:09 PM, Mr. Mac's wrote:
> A person can still be of tremendous service to a community when the heart and passion factors
>     are no longer at the forefront of one's life.
I think, Keith, that you just answered your own question. Being of
tremendous service to a community (and I certainly think I am of service
to the local musical community in particular) is a strong part of the
heart and passion David Andersen was talking about.

Having heart and passion doesn't mean that we won't experience something
akin to drudgery with some tasks, on some days. But we know it is FOR
something. When we stop caring whether or not the little student has a
decent working instrument to learn on, or whether the old lady can play
her hymns without hurting her arthritic fingers, or whether the music
school can hold a concert without the pianist complaining (especially if
we no longer even want to hear the concert!), that is truly the time to
stop, IMO. The world itself is a gift to each of us. We need to find
good work to do which prevents it from turning a featureless gray, out
of simple gratitude for being here.

Susan Kline